Columbia Cedar is a cedar sawmill that responsibly harvests, mills, and manufactures select, tight-knot western red cedar building products. We offer lumber industry & sawmill career opportunities with competitive wages and benefits.
Currently, we have an opening for an experienced Log Scaler.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES including the following:
- Evaluates log characteristics and determines grades using established criteria
- Record data about individual logs into a handheld computer
- Paint identification marks on logs to identify grades using spray cans or other log markers
- Measure logs to calculate volume, weight, dimensions, and marketable value, using measuring devices and conversion tables
- Identify logs of substandard or special grade and inspect logs to ascertain characteristics or defects such as water damage, splits, knots, broken ends, rotten areas, twists, and curves
- Operate log yard equipment as needed
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS including the following:
- Must be 18 or older
- 3 years log yard/scaling experience desired
- Log scaling license preferred, will be required to obtain within 1-year of employment (employer-paid training)
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Willing to work in all seasons and weather conditions
- Applicants must be willing to work overtime
Benefits and Wages:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Prescription
- Basic Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Wellness Program
Our company is a drug-free workplace. All applicants must successfully complete pre-employment drug & alcohol screening. Columbia Cedar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.